Education and Outreach Accomplishments Summary
- Attracts nearly 50,000 views of the BTEC website annually, and reaches 7,000 biomass heating contacts per week through the “BTEC News” newsletter.
- Training HVAC installers on the principles of biomass hydronic heater system design through “BTEC University.”
- Received a $100,000 grant from the U.S. Forest Service to update and market the new Wood Energy Financial App, a simple online project calculator for potential commercial and institutional wood energy users.
- Signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to support the deployment of wood-to-energy systems and expanded research and recognition.
- Raising awareness and recognition of biomass thermal systems through the “Biomass Green Heat Registered Site Program” and support of the second annual “National Bioenergy Day.”
- Began research and industry outreach efforts with support from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) on the potential off-gassing of Carbon Monoxide from the bulk storage of wood pellets
- Led development of the inaugural Biomass Thermal DC Summit, including coordination of over 50 attendees from several biomass energy groups, scheduling 43 meetings with federal agencies and Members of Congress, support of a Biomass Briefing, and an evening Congressional Biomass Reception.
- Received a $70,000 grant from the U.S. Forest Service to conduct workshops to educate HVAC engineers and architects on commercial class biomass heating systems.
- Received a $60,000 grant from the U.S. Forest Service for education and outreach projects on biomass thermal energy, addressing biomass topics like air quality, commercial/industrial/residential applications, rural impacts, policy outlook, environmental commodities, and much more. These publicly available resources will include 15 webinars, 5 factsheets, 10 exclusive audio interviews, and a comprehensive presentation. Click here to read more>>.
- Held and co-hosted numerous Congressional briefing on biomass thermal energy. Read more >>
- Organized first-ever session at RETECH conference on biomass thermal energy; participating in a keynote panel at the 2010 International Biomass Conference and Expo.
- Host of the Northeast Biomass Heating Expo (formerly the Heating the Northeast with Renewable Biomass Conference), the first conference in the Northeast focused on biomass thermal energy (www.nebiomassheat.com).
- Raised awareness for biomass thermal through regular features and articles in various energy publications, including Hardwood News, Biomass Power & Thermal Magazine (biomassmagazine.com), and Bioenergy International (bioenergyinternational.com).